for 8 servings
2 lbboneless, skinless chicken thighs (905 g) 1 tablespoonsalt 1 teaspoonwhite pepper 1 cupcornstarch (125 g) 3 cupsflour (375 g)
- 1 egg
1 ½ cupswater (360 mL) 2 tablespoonsoil 6 cupsoil, for frying (1 ½ L)
1 tablespoonoil ¼ teaspoonchili flake 1 tablespoongarlic, minced ½ teaspoonginger, minced ¼ cupsugar (50 g) ¼ cupbrown sugar (55 g) ¼ cuporange juice(60 mL) ¼ cupwhite distilled vinegar (60 mL) 2 tablespoonssoy sauce 2 tablespoonswater 2 tablespoonscornstarch 1 teaspoonsesame oil
- On a cutting board, cut chicken into 1x1-inch (2x2-cm) cubes and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine salt, white pepper, cornstarch, and flour. Whisk to combine.
- Add the egg, water, and oil until it reaches the consistency of pancake batter.
- Add the chicken to the batter and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wok or heavy bottom pan to 350˚F (180˚C).
- Gently add the chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Set a heavy bottomed pot over medium- high heat and add the oil.
- Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the red pepper flakes, ginger, and garlic, and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add the sugar and brown sugar, and stir to combine.
- Add in the orange juice and allow the sugars to begin to dissolve in the liquid, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the vinegar and soy sauce, and stir to combine.
- Add the cornstarch and water together and whisk to combine. Add to the pan and stir.
- Continue to cook the sauce until maple syrup consistency is achieved.
- Add in the fried chicken and stir until completely coated in the sauce.
- Top with sesame oil.